I’ve been thinking about this blog post for awhile AND I will be making one for clients too next week. Some things seem second nature to me but may not to someone else. After being in the online industry for 12 years now I know it is harder than ever to be seen with the influx of models who want to try their hand at webcamming, being a dominatrix, findom etc. You do not need any special formal training to be successful. You need consistency, work ethic and drive. OH and a whole lot of SELF motivation-working from home is not for the faint of heart. Distractions abound. But here are some top 10 personal tips to get you started!
- Have a social media presence. Some top models get away with not being active on social media and still are in the top sellers on clip sites. This is not the norm. Social media verifies you as a real person, someone people can connect with and gives you a platform to show off your personality. Currently Twitter seems to be the safest place for SW to have an account. Make sure you read the TOS (terms of service) and follow the rules. I personally do not post any nudity but many others do. I try to keep it PG as to now get shadowbanned or in what is called “Twitter Jail”. Instagram is very tough to keep an account on. I personally do not waste my time there though some have been successful. Obviously (but maybe not to some) Facebook is a big no. Some models also have success on YouTube BUT they have a strict TOS and please be aware that this is the area where people of ALL ages are on a lot and if you are keeping your work a secret from family/friends then YouTube is a platform where it is more likely for you to be found by unsuspecting acquaintances.
If you are finding it hard to post daily on social media you can use different apps to que posts in advance. OR connect your auto tweet sales to fill in the gaps from your iwantclips, clips4sale or manyvid stores. Some models make a seperate account for this as some believe it creates a shadowban on your account with auto sales-I have mine on and do not have an issue but I make sure to be VERY active to balance it out. Make sure you interact with your peers, answer back clients and show off who you are on social media. All without divulging too much personal information. Everyone has their own fine line of what this means to them.
- One of my favorite comfort tricks is having a heating blanket on high under me as I’m recording customs videos or taking an online session. Sitting in tiny clothing especially if you live in a state with winter can be tough and it personally helps me mentally to be warm while working. If you are in a warm state you could try ice packs under a blanket covered by a towel if you lack AC and fans make too much noise. I run a little cold, others have different bodies and may run warm.
- Have at least ONE clip site that you sell on. This is a great way to verify your age, credibility and show off your interests and skills in clips videos. The current front runners in clip sites are: iwantclips, clips4sale , manyvids. and niteflirt. Each site has slightly different clientele. It’s always best to not put all your eggs in one basket either as the saying goes BUT starting somewhere with at least one clip site will get you organic traffic. Make sure to read each sites TOS and follow the rules. Getting banned from a site means getting banned from revenue there. It is generally not allowed to link to other sites on another. For example do not send someone who emailed you on iwantclips to your niteflirt or give them your email and say to email you elsewhere. Sites like to keep their business ON their site for the benefit of all parties. Safety, customer service and proper payment processing helps everyone have fun properly. Especially if you are new and learning the ropes.
- I’m a VERY organized person. If my things are not organized I mentally feel like I might fall apart. Organization is going to save you time and time again. You will get work done faster, find items needed for work sooner and generally feel more in control of your business. I recommend setting time aside to keep things organized every single month. This means organizing taxes, lingerie, sexy toys (keeping them clean!) bedroom and lighting set up etc.
- I want to continue the organization tip here with the organizing of videos and pictures on your computer. Stay organized from the very beginning if you can. This will save you an insurmountable amount of time. All my clips are organized per the category I released them in. Such as “jerk off instruction” or “CEI” etc. I can find all my videos VERY easily within a few minutes. I did not always have them this way so take my tip and get those things organized. That way when you also join a new site in the future it is very easy to find everything. I keep my photos organized as well (but honestly not *as* well) into the different months of the year, if it was a specific photo set I name it etc.
- HAVE AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE. With ALL your content on it and keep it updated. Some even have a back up of that. I keep NOTHING on my computer desktop unless it is being uploaded. Right after that it is moved to a safer place.
Tip off a tip…the other great thing about hosting content on a clips site is if you lose all your videos, you can download your content back to a new computer or hard drive from your accounts. You may have to send the site an email about it for access to that (I think that is clips4sale) BUT look at it as a second free data base for your work in case something fails.
- You do not have to do what everyone else is doing. I repeat…you do not have to do what everyone else is doing. What works for one model may not work for you. Don’t get discouraged. It takes time, patience and consistency to grow a business. Every single year I have been in this business I make sure I further my skills in a variety of areas, update my technology and reinvent myself. Staying stagnant won’t get you growth. Keep evolving. The internet is full of free information if you do not have funds to invest in books or courses. YouTube can teach you a lot. Use your resources. But do not ever steal from others.
- To continue the above tip further: Some models are on EVERY single site, monetizing every single avenue of their life and you wonder how they do it. Well, they might have help or they might just have high anxiety. I personally do just about everything myself. You do not have to offer everything. I personally do not like offering up my personal clothing for sale (often) and I do not do a lot of live online sessions anymore unless I have a larger free time block. Others LOVE doing online sessions and selling their clothing. Don’t feel bad if it does not work out for you like it may them. There is something else that you can be just as good at. We all have our strength. Doing things out of your comfort zone will bring you strife later. Pushing boundaries of yourself unsafely will bring you the wrong clients. You can say no.
I understand some do things they may not want too and are in survival mode. I’m sending those models love, I know it’s so tough to be in positions of deciding against desires vs food and shelter. The message is to do what you need too, that works for you, that works for your situation. Don’t over do it if you can help it. It’s easy to get married to the job when there is a possibility of money at any time of the night and day. Balance is key to success. Remember, everyone’s version of success is different. Don’t compare yourself…but use others success as personal motivation. We can all win!
- KEEP YOUR WORK ROOM CLEAN! This is a huge pet peeve of mine and I know cleaning may not be what everyone is good at BUT a distraction free space to work in will provide and reward you with more time in the end for either work or play. I’m a naturally clean freak of a person and this comes easy to me. It may not to others. If you are not good at it I suggest once again maybe YouTube can have some free resources to help you learn how to learn, organize and decorate in a non distracting way. A cheap way to organize is with clear plastic drawer containers. Panties in one drawer, bras another, outfits another etc. I personally have a lot of outfits hung up on the clip style velvet hangers and when it comes time to work it is a lot easier to decide what to wear when I have an entire outfit ready to go at a moments notice. It takes me a slim amount of time to prep for a show or videos long as I…you guessed it-stay organized.
Tip in a tip-another cheap way to decorate is by visiting thrift stores. Especially if you are just starting out. Pinterest board a variety of ideas for yourself and then have fun browsing second hand used goods. Ebay can also be a great place to score some new or gently used items at cheap prices if you live somewhere where the shopping is not that great.
- BE YOURSELF! Staying true to yourself, your brand, your business is so important. You may not know what that looks like when you first start out and it will evolve. Sit down and write out your goals, what you would like to accomplish. What parts of you would you like to share. I’ve found that showing off the well rounded person that I’m (artist and avid horse back rider) really helps clients connect with me, want to help me invest in my hobbies and really get to know ME better. This job is about CONNECTION. If you hate people and working with them this may not be a good career for you. If you enjoy learning about people in a quickly growing every changing industry then you will have fun. This industry is not dying-it’s evolving. I personally believe the future is customized experiences. People love exploring themselves and having a non biased person to help them with that.
I’m SO blessed every single day that I get to do what I do. I work very hard at it, every single day and have since 2008. But remember-time off is just as important. Make sure you have hobbies and friends who get you out of the house. Work life balance will look different for us all. Find what works for you. Remember-if you fail at something that is a huge help-you know not to do it again or to maybe tweak the idea and try again. All of us are humans who are constantly learning every single day. Brush yourself off and try again, sometimes a good cry and a hot bath will set you in a new direction.
Thanks for reading and if you have a great tip (it was so hard to keep it to 10! and I’m already planning a Part 2!) Please share off this blog posting on Twitter and I might add it to the bottom of this blog and link your twitter!